13 Comments

1. Janna
    September 2, 2018 @ 3:19 pm

Glad you’re settling in. All the social interaction bodes well for the future, I suspect (and bears out predictions made post-departure). And your new place looks lovely–Spartan, as you say, but much to the point: you will be able to focus on your purpose for being there, and that is all to the good.

• Elizabeth Bourne
      September 2, 2018 @ 3:22 pm

Thank you for the good wishes. It’s been completely amazing so far. Unbelievable is not too strong a word. Tomorrow I must get a routine sketched out, and follow it!

2. Wendy Ice
    September 2, 2018 @ 4:23 pm

I can’t remember ever feeling as much travel envy for anyone as I feel for you right now. That looks like utter bliss. So happy for you!!

• Elizabeth Bourne
      September 2, 2018 @ 5:57 pm

Thank you! This is turning out even more incredible than I expected.

3. Stella Watts
    September 2, 2018 @ 4:28 pm

Thank you for sharing. Good to hear you’re getting settled in Elizabeth. I’m enjoying reading about your journey. Unlike the craziness here in the U.S., everything looks & sounds so much more peacefully & gently paced there. I look forward to hearing more.

• Elizabeth Bourne
      September 2, 2018 @ 5:56 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

4. Marca
    September 2, 2018 @ 11:23 pm

I’m sure it has not been lost on you that your adventures in the dating scene recently in Seattle bore no fruit. Yet, there you are half way round the world and without even trying you encounter men interesting and worthy enough of your attention. All the more reason for me to be content with alone-ing, since traveling half way around the world, and in particular to the arctic is not in my future. Perhaps it is true that you will not find someone when you are looking, but rather when you are open to new experiences.

• Elizabeth Bourne
      September 3, 2018 @ 11:43 am

That is what I’ve always heard. I don’t know if it’s true or not. I also think that European culture doesn’t have the same expectations of women that American culture does. In some ways, I feel American culture prefers to infantilize women. We have a culture that is deeply misogynistic, and while we are struggling to overcome that, it is a struggle. Mind you, I’m not saying that European culture is perfect — no culture is. But particularly in the nordic countries women are viewed more like equals, and certainly not with the same kind of suspicion’/dislike that’s rampant in US culture.

5. Jeffrey Lemkin
    September 3, 2018 @ 2:11 am

And you’ve been there what – a couple of days??

Admiring your speed of acculturation and your ability to bring your own needs and schedules into what is, after all, an entirely foreign – though perhaps you were born there, or born to *be* there – world.

Thanks for taking us along, this is a great trip. We wish you all the best and look forward to enjoying the far North with you.

• Elizabeth Bourne
      September 3, 2018 @ 11:38 am

Thanks, Jeffrey. It’s been a whirlwind entry that’s for sure! I am hoping it calms down a little so I can get some actual work done. And with any luck, today is going to be that day.

• Elizabeth Bourne
      September 6, 2018 @ 5:38 pm

Thanks Jeffrey. I really do love this place. It does feel like home.

6. IreneS
    September 4, 2018 @ 12:14 pm

I love hearing about your adventures and look forward to more. My sympathies on your food choices. We went to the market this morning and loaded up on vegetables. I just made an omelet for.our lunch, filled with fresh tomatoes and local cheese. Now I am not hinking of your new life and contemplating a walk.

• Elizabeth Bourne
      September 4, 2018 @ 8:10 pm

I’m glad you’re enjoying my adventures. They do continue. Oh vegetables. I bought a couple of onions, and a green pepper to use with pasta. I have yet to find parmesan cheese in the store. Much of the fruit is a testimony to the fact that ugly fruit is widely available in the arctic. As are ugly vegetables. So I guess Longyearbyen is already doing its part… My next NA article is going to be on grocery shopping… Enjoy Normandie, and I look forward to hearing about it.